When p is positive, the parabola opens upwards
- Menaechmus (380 BC - 320 BC) found the parabola
- Apollonius (262 BC - 190 BC) named the parabola
- Pappus (290 - 350) found the focus and directrix of the parabola
- Galileo (1564 - 1642) saw that objects falling due to gravity due so in parabolic
- Gregory (1638 -1675) studied properties of the parabola
- Newton (1638 - 1675) studied properties of the parabola
A parabola is is a set of all points that are the same distance from a fixed line (directrix) and a fixed point (focus)not
on the directrix
Standard Form when directrix is parallel to the y-axis:
(y-k)² = 4p(x-h)
Standard Form when directrix is parallel to the x-axis:
(x-h)² = 4p(y-k)
When p is negative, the parabola opens downwards
When h is negative, it moves to the left of the orgin. When h is positive, it moves to the right of the orgin.
When k is negative, it moves towards the bottom of the graph. When k is positive, it moves towards the top of the graph.